- Lower prices - unless you're talking about petroleum. Not that I think gas should be cheaper. Just sayin'.
- Shrinking newspapers.
- Lousy reporting.
- A whole host of mindless talking heads, spewing mindless talking points.
- The auctioning off of the formerly public airwaves to media conglomerates.
- Giant gas-hogs with rotten repair records.
- Out-of-control medical costs.
- The end of pensions. The rise of 401K plans which depend on the stock market.
- Stock market crashes, minimum of one per decade. See bullet point above.
- Failed banks.
- Sub-prime mortgages and home foreclosures.
- Endless war for the sake of a) oil, and b) defense contractor profits.
- (Crappy) blockbuster books in lieu of literature.
- Air, water, and soil pollution resulting from the burning of fossil fuels, unsustainable agri-business farming methods, and mega-tons of waste resulting from an economy based on overconsumption.
- Obesity at astronomical levels.
- Unsafe food and drugs.
- More stuff I'm sure I'm forgetting at the moment.
Wednesday, February 4, 2009
Time to do some whittling
What we've gotten out of mega-corporations: