and let's hope it's a better one than the last. Here are ten of my fondest wishes:
1. Newspapers recover. Twenty-four-hour news outlets fail.
2. It rains in California. It stops raining in Iowa.
3. California calls for a constitutional convention and produces a new constitution which requires a two-thirds majority to amend the constitution and a 50%+1 majority to pass a budget and to raise taxes. Lowering taxes requires a 60% majority. Heh.
4. The Supreme Court decides that money does not, in fact, constitute political speech and caps corporate political spending.
5. The FCC decides that nudity is not scary, that the word 'fuck' will not harm future generations, and that freedom of speech is not threatened by banning ads which contain demonstrable falsehoods.
6. The FDA bans commercials touting prescription drugs.
7. Genetically modified foods are found to taste awful. Monsanto gives up its GMA programs and devotes itself to promoting organic gardening.
8. No Child Left Behind is amended to require a.) national testing standards and b.) an increase in funding for all schools which fail to meet yearly progress goals.
9. Roman Polanski goes to prison.
10. Health care reform becomes law, and includes caps on profits by insurance companies and for-profit health-care providers.